Tuesday 19 February 2013

A GLIMPSE INTO THE EXCITING WORLD OF CARTOONING!

Hey there... It happens on occasion that I'll come up with multiple punchlines for the same cartoon image - this isn't all that unusual and usually results in one punchline being scrapped in favour of another. What is unusual, at least for me, is coming up with two or three punchlines for a single image and liking each one equally. Take the first cartoon I published on this blog:


 
 
This is actually the third version of the cartoon. The first version was this one:
 
 
 
Others might disagree but I think a gorilla filling up on his own feces before a dinner date is comedy gold! That said, even while I was drawing this one up I knew the market for it was rather limited. I no sooner put it to bed when I came up with the second punchline:
 
 
 
Not exactly cutting edge humour, I know, but I still found it funny and, on the plus side, the gag would appeal to a broader audience.
 
The third and (hopefully) final version came about when I was hunting around for ideas for Valentine's Day cards, which is what it evenually became.
 
I really have mixed feelings when things like this happen. I can't help feeling like I'm cheating, milking several gags from a single drawing - on the other hand, it wouldn't make much sense to draw three different gorillas dining with three different women and talking to three different waiters, now would it?
 
Well, that's it for today. I'm off to play Portal 2.
 
'Til next time...
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment